Friday, February 25, 2011

Music Corner - featuring ムック (MUCC)

I know that this blog is already a mix of a little bit of everything (I'm too ADD to blog about one thing all the time, I guess, XD), so I've decided to keep going along with that. At least once a month (most likely twice), I'll post a blog titled "Music Corner" in which I showcase music by some of my favorite bands. I've debated doing this for a while, and finally figured, "Why the hell not?" Since most of the music I listen to is less than mainstream (here in America, at least), I thought it would be interesting to open everyone's eyes to music they may not listen to otherwise.

Today's band is my favorite of all time, ムック or MUCC (pronounced as "mook-koo"). They are one of the most intense bands I have ever heard, and I will always be indebted to my best friend for introducing me to them back in 2007. While I'm less than pleased with the direction their music has taken as of late, I know that I will forever be in awe of their early music (and will patiently wait for them to come to their senses and start making their dark, cynical music again, lol).



MUCC was formed in 1997 and is comprised for four very talented men. Tatsurou is the lead singer (his voice makes me melt), Miya is on the guitar, Yuuke is on bass, and Satochi is on drums. To date they have released well over 300 songs -- 10 albums, 24 singles, 4 demos, and have been featured on many compilation albums. They've toured all across Japan and Europe, and traveled with the Taste of Chaos tour across American in 2008, along with The Underneath and D'espairsRay (another popular JRock band). Sadly, I didn't know about them touring with the Taste of Chaos until a few days after they performed in Dayton, Ohio, the closest they came to this area. I could have cried. :(

Now, onto the music! The song titles are listed first, followed by the month and year they were released, which is followed by a couple translated lines of the song. I haven't featured ALL of their singles, because...well...this blog would be even longer than I already know it'll be. Heheh.  And I love all of their music, but my absolute favorites have asterisks (*) before and after their titles.  At the very end are a few of my favorite live performances from them. : )

Unfortunately, Universal Japan has it set up so their videos can't be embedded (BOO!!!), so any singles that were released by MUCC under them are from DailyMotion instead of youtube.

Happy listening!!!


Singles

*Zetsubou (Despair)*
Released in September 2002

"...I'm sick of hearing things like 'Dreams always come true'
You hypocrites who speak so easily of hope can fucking die
What should I wish for in this place where nothing exists but loneliness?
What should I look for in a place where nothing exists but despair?..."


*Ware arubeki basho (My Rightful Place)*
Released in May 2003

"...As I shed tears in the rain
The rain washes away the mud that's inside me..."



Rojiura boku to kimi e (The Back Alley to Me and You)
Released in February 2004

"...the boy who's lost his fingers was crying, unable to seize love or dreams
In the back alley, continually wishing for rebirth on the seventh morning..."


Kuugatsu mikka no kokuin (The Carved Seal of September Third)
Released in December 2004

"On September third, I died..."

Ame no orchestra (The Orchestra of the Rain -or- Rain's Orchestra)
Released in June 2005

"...I put my pen down on the desk as the rain stopped.
Before I knew it, the sky had started to stream away
You knew about the lies I told you, didn't you?
From the very beginning..."



Utagoe (Singing Voices)
Released in June 2006

"...The absolute sun blinds my eyes
Scorched shadows keep burning
In in love with this world that feels like it's not worth living in..."

*Libra*
Released in March 2007

"...In this world where feelings are only a hindrance
Shoot and kill me!..."

*Ageha (Swallowtail)*
Released in August 2008

"...A swallowtail swimming in the provocative moonlight light
I'll break your fucking pride and I'll break your fucking stilettos
Flap your jet-black wings about and go astray
A swallowtail so beautiful as it flutters down..."

Sora to ito (Sky and Thread)
Released in February 2009

"...Ripped and torn ears despise and ridicule this weary world
And it walks with tail stuck up in the air like a middle finger..."


*Freesia*
Released in November 2009

"...This feeling that could burn even the sun
Left me with dull scars before turning into a shimmer of hot air..."


Live Performances
From World Tour Final Nippon Budokan 666
2006

*******Kuchiki no tou (The Tower of Rotten Wood)*******
This is one of their most amazing performances ever.
I find myself in awe every time I watch, especially
when the audience is completely silent at the end. <3

"...'Am I alive? I feel like going insane.'..."



**Bouzenjishitsu (Stupor)**

"...After losing everything, I was able to see the reality that lies within the chaos
I wonder, why, why wasn't I able to notice this?..."


*Suimin (Sleep)*

"...Someone, please save him -- he who is so frail
Am I the only one in this crowd who can hear
His pained screams as he cries by himself?..."


*****Kuukyo na heya (Empty Room)*****

"...A world with nothing, an empty world sinking into depression
Clinging to the pitch black room, he screams..."

No comments:

Post a Comment