Sunday, March 6, 2011

One Life, One Chance...

It's been a while since the last time Bethany's name popped up in my "People You May Know" box on Facebook. We have 21 mutual friends, but we will never have the chance to be friends. At least, not on Facebook.

I can't believe that it's been more than six months since she was killed in that horrible car accident. A beautiful, intelligent nineteen year old life, taken from the world by a garbage truck driver who was too concerned with other things to notice that traffic had been stopped. If he hadn't been reading a text from his wife, would he have noticed the multitude of "Stopped Traffic Ahead" or "Flagger Ahead" signs that lined Highway 60 that morning? And who knows how drastically his mind had been altered by the pain meds and muscle relaxers he'd taken that morning.
My feelings concerning the truck driver have yet to level out. All I know is that I'm not longer as angry as I was after it happened. Do I still blame him? Yes. Everything that could have kept the accident from happening laid in his hands. Bethany's car was at a complete standstill in traffic. There was nothing she could have done, and nothing she did to cause the accident.

All I can say is that everyone still loves her very much. We all think of her often, and it's hard not to smile when you remember just how crazy and silly she was, just the icing on the cake of what made her who she was. At least one memory is always shared whenever we have a bonfire.

We all still miss you, Bethany. So very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment