Sunday, March 13, 2011

March Madness

Believe it or not, this is my favorite time of year. It's funny how many double takes and/or dumbfounded looks I get from people when they learn how much I love college basketball. Yes, I realize that my love of anime and Japanese music and such makes me a nerd, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy other things!!  I live for college basketball and seeing my two teams do so well this year has made it even more exciting.

I was born in Syracuse, NY and the Orange have been my father's team since long before then. I was raised on their sports, even though I didn't really know what I was watching until I hit elementary school. The Orange are my go to team. I have shirts, hoodies, stole my dad's old Syracuse blanket, and used to have Otto stickers on my bedroom window. Even though they aren't the best team in the league when it comes to football (they actually won a bowl game this year, though!), they are one of the very best in basketball. They started this season off ranked number one in the nation. Then, unfortunately, Fab Melo was injured and they took a rather ungraceful fall down through the rankings. : ( Even so, they still made it to the semi-finals of the Big East tournament, only to be beat by UConn in overtime. Seeing them go into that overtime was sooooo exciting, considering the last time UConn and Syracuse went into overtime in the Big East tournament (2009), they ended up playing through six overtimes before Syracuse finally won. That year was even more exciting because Syracuse was pitted against my other favorite teams for the Big East championship.


When I'm not cheering for Syracuse, I'm pulling for UofL. I've never been to a basketball game, but I loooooove going to football games. Watching the Cards play last night had me on the edge of my seat. When the game started and they were nearly 20 points behind, I was slouching on the couch. But, by the last five minutes of the game, I was sitting like a spring pulled tight. Despite the fact that we ended up losing by three points, it was a kick ass game. I wanted to hug Marra so bad when I saw his face after the game ended. The one shot he missed of his three free throws could have made overtime possible, but instead, we were down by one, UConn managed 2 points, and we were left needed 3 points to tie up the game. Siva tried, but it just wasn't enough.

I can't wait until the National tournament starts! Today is Selection Sunday and I know my bracket will be ready by tomorrow evening. Even though neither of my teams won the Big East championship, they're both still going to be playing for the National one, and that's all that matters. And I can't wait until I get my "I Bleed Orange" shirt in the mail tomorrow. : D

GO ORANGE!

GO CARDS!

Enjoy the Madness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment